NASPI unemployment and transfer abroad

Unemployment Naspi allowance in case of transfer to a foreign country to look for work. The possibility of transferring the allowance to EU countries, EEA and Switzerland for a maximum of 3 months, can be extended. Procedure and necessary fulfilments. Repatriation with Naspi for those who work abroad and have lost their job.

What happens when a taxpayer in receipt of Unemployment Benefits decides to move abroad?

I decided to devote this article to dissolve a widespread doubt among those who are thinking of expatriating.
Those who have lost their job often struggle to find it is thinking about a transfer of residence abroad. However, there are often brakes related to the fact that there could be the loss of the Unemployment Indemnity (Naspi).

The question is undoubtedly well placed if you think that, in general, the Unemployment Indemnity is linked to the residence in the State that provides it. For this reason, it is appropriate to analyze the situation in detail to verify if and when Naspi can be transferred to an EU or non-EU country.

Unemployment: transfer of Naspi to another EU country

The first step in this analysis is to check what the Community legislation provides to transfer unemployment benefits. In general, the worker who has remained unemployed in a country and has accrued the right to unemployment benefits according to the rental legislation can transfer them to another EU country.

The right to the Naspi allowance can derive from the payment of insurance periods or also from the aggregation of insurance periods accrued in other EU countries.

In this case, the worker may continue to receive unemployment benefits even if he goes to another Community State searching for work.

That said, let’s see who the people who can benefit from the Naspi transfer to another EU country are.

Naspi Unemployment and transfer to another EU country: beneficiaries

The following categories of unemployed people can benefit from the transfer of the Naspi allowance to another EU country:
• Citizens of one of the States of the European Union;
• Citizens of an EEA state. See Liechtenstein, Norway, and Iceland;
• Swiss citizens;
• Non-EU citizens, but only if they are resident in an EU country and insured in at least two Member States. See INPS Circular n. 512 of 15 March 2011;
• Stateless persons and refugees residing in an EU country.

Transfer of unemployment benefit for stays abroad of up to 3 months

If you belong to one of the categories listed above, you can continue to receive unemployment benefits even if you move to another EU or EEA country or Switzerland.

If you are a beneficiary of an Aspi/miniAspi/Naspi unemployment benefit and you go to another member state to look for work, you can keep the right to benefits.

This right lasts for a maximum of three months from when the unemployed person is unavailable at the employment center.

That is, from the date of departure from Italy. You can do it only if:
• You are fully unemployed (not part-time or intermittent) and
• You are entitled to unemployment benefits in the country where you lost your job.

Transfer of the Naspi unemployment benefit: procedure

Now let’s see how to go about getting your Naspi transferred when you move to another EU country for up to three months.

What to do before leaving

Before you leave, you must:
• Be registered for at least four weeks on the unemployment lists (exceptions are possible) of the country where you lost your job;
• Apply for a U2 form (formerly E 303 form). This is your authorization to transfer unemployment benefits – to your national employment services.

The authorization is valid for one country only.

If you want to transfer your unemployment benefits to another country, you must apply for an additional U2 form. Ask the employment office if you have to return home for this new authorization or if you can apply for it from abroad.

What to do on arrival in the foreign country

According to experts from Paybis, when you arrive in your new host country, you must:
• Register as a jobseeker with the national employment services within seven days from the date you revoked your availability with the employment services of the country you left.
If you register with the foreign country’s labor office or employment center after seven days, benefits will be paid from the date of registration until the expiry date already set (three months from the day you left Italy or the foreign country);
• You must submit Form U2 (formerly Form E 303) with your application;
• Consent to any checks made on claimants in the host country. As if you were a recipient of unemployment benefits from that country.

Remember that the Aspi/miniAspi/Naspi benefit is suspended until the employment office of the member state in which you have gone to Italy informs INPS that you have been registered and the relative date. Once the communication has been received, INPS will pay the benefit due directly to the beneficiary from the date of departure from Italy.

Find out about your rights and obligations as an unemployed jobseeker in your host country. They may be very different from those in the country where you lost your job.

You will then receive the same amount as you received before moving: it will be paid directly into your bank account in the country where you lost your job.

If you want to keep your right to unemployment benefits, make sure you return to the country that pays them before they expire or at the latest on the day they expire.

Transfer of unemployment benefit for stays abroad of more than three months

In the case of transfers to the EU, EEA, or Switzerland for periods of more than three months, the procedure changes.

In this case, you need to ask for an extension from the national employment service of the country where you lost your job. They may extend the period to 6 months if the legislation provides for it.

Not all countries grant an extension. Ask your country’s employment service if and under what conditions it can be given. Most countries that grant an extension examine applications based on precise criteria.

They might, for example, ask you to:
• Evidence of your efforts to find employment in the first three months;
• Prove that you have a better chance of finding work abroad during the additional period;
• Provide information about professional opportunities in the labor market of the host country.

Submit the extension request as soon as possible and in any case before the end of the initial 3-month period.

Forfeiture of transfer of unemployment benefit

If you want to make use of the possibility of transferring unemployment benefits, you must be careful not to trigger the forfeiture.

If you decide to go abroad searching for work without informing your employment center in advance, you lose your right to export the benefit.

This allowance, in this case, will be recovered in full from the date of unavailability at the job center (date of departure).

That is why you have to be very careful and report your movements to the job center.

Allowances for repatriated Italians

Italian individuals who have moved abroad for work can also obtain benefits.

The beneficiary of an unemployment benefit paid by a foreign country who returns to Italy in search of work retains the right for a maximum of three months.

In this case, the Community legislation allows the extension of the deadline by up to six months. The unemployed person must check whether the state providing the benefit provides for such an extension.

An Italian citizen receiving unemployment benefits from a foreign country who returns to Italy in search of work, in addition to receiving benefits for the exported period, may be entitled to unemployment benefits for repatriated citizens.
Days already compensated by the foreign institution will be deducted from the period eligible for repatriation (maximum 180 days).

Aggregation of insurance periods

There is also provision for the aggregation of insurance periods. The Member State in which the person last worked must take account, where necessary, of insurance periods in the other Member States to establish entitlement to unemployment benefits.

By accumulating, instead, the periods worked in all the states, he reaches the right to the unemployment benefit ASPI, miniASpI, or NASpI. The benefit is calculated on the social security taxable amount of the work done in Italy.

The same rule is also applied when the person last worked in a country other than Italy. In this case, by accumulating the periods worked in all the nations, the person is entitled to the unemployment benefit provided for by the legislation of the country of last employment.

Unemployment benefits in the event of moving abroad: conclusions

If you are thinking about moving abroad to look for work, you need to pay attention to unemployment benefits.

The possibility of transferring Naspi is conditioned by meeting specific requirements and the country you intend to move to.

The benefit can be transferred only to the EU, EEA, or Swiss countries. There are no other countries with such agreements with Italy.

Even in these cases, the transfer duration is still limited to three months, which can be extended only in certain instances. After that, the allowance is suspended.

Another important aspect is the procedure.

I advise you to inform the job center of your intention to move abroad in good time. The penalty is forfeiture of unemployment benefits and the obligation to repay the sums received since your move abroad.

Be careful, therefore, not to underestimate all these aspects if you want to receive your unemployment benefits abroad.

About Post Author

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top